What is a cookie?
A cookie is a little text file that is memorized by the computer in the moment when a website is visited by a user. The text memorizes informations that the website can read in the moment when it’s being visited a second time. Some of these cookies are necessary to the correct functioning of the website, while others are useful to the visitor because capable of memorizing in a safe way the username or the language settings, for instance. The advantage of having cookies installed in your pc is not having to complete the same informations every time you want to have access to a previously visited website.
How can i disable cookies ?
It is possible to modify the browser to disable cookies through a very simple process. Warning: through cookies deactivation, password and username won’t be memorized in website’s login box anymore.
1. Open Firefox
2. Press “Alt” on the keyboard
3. In the toolbar placed on browser’s upper part, select “Tools” and then “Options”
4. Select then the “Privacy” sheet
5. Go on “History settings”: then on “Use custom settings” . Deselect “Accept cookies from websites” and save the preferences.
- Open Internet Explorer
- Click on “Tools” and then on “Internet Options”
- Select the “Privacy” sheet and move the scrolling device on the desired privacy level (upward to block all cookies or downward to accept them all)
- Click then on OK
- Open Google Chrome
- Click the “Tools” icon
- Select “Settings” and then “Advanced settings”
- Select “Contents settings” under the “Privacy” entry
- In the “Cookies” sheet is possible to disable cookies and save preferences
- Open Safari
- Choose “Preferences” in the toolbar, then select the “Security” panel in the following dialogue window
- In the “Accept cookies” section is possible to specify if and when Safari has to save cookies from websites. For more informations click on the Help button (characterized with a question mark)
- For more informations on cookies memorized in your pc, click on “Show cookies”